I leave for my second trip to India on Tuesday. Much to do before the trip – pick up D batteries for the air pumps, fittings for the rotameters (which measure air flow into the pumps), contact my health insurance company, and fill my anti-malarial prescription… among many.
Filled with anticipation. Even though I’ve been before, I still feel a cocktail of nervousness, excitement, fear, and joy bubbling in my stomach.
This time, I:
- know a bit more Hindi.
- will be traveling to a new part of the country
- know what to expect when I get off the plane
- will have the right clothes
- know I can handle the challenges to come
- am leading fieldwork, rather than an intern under a local field team
- am part of a potential solution (a plan to improve environment, health, and livelihood (aka, our research))
This time, I mean business.